Friday, October 5, 2012

ff

{grandma old's rhubarb pie}

well. i was trying to decide what to write about this week. there were many options. but. then i was baking pies. and i spent the whole time thinking how amazing it would be to be baking those pies with my mom and grandma. mom would be pouring the wine as i swear and swear about my pastry struggles, and grandma would tell me what to do to fix the pastry, and it would just be the best thing. i am always surprised when i bake and cook, how much of it is my mom. lessons i didn't know i was getting. watching her, helping her, and listening to her stories about cooking and baking with her mother. i am so so grateful for the women i come from. strong and smart and funny and resilient. bold and brave. i could write for days and days about my grandmothers, who i think about all the time wishing i could learn more from them. it really is crazy how often and how much i miss them. and then there are my aunts. and my cousins. these are amazing women. and i'm so lucky to have come from this sturdy stock.

 {home before the kitchen renos, many christmases ago}

 {emma and me making a canadian thanksgiving in scotland back in 2008}

thank you thank you, universe. there's my thanksgiving focus. i wish this country (and this world) was smaller...

{grandma old and the cookie fridge}

2 comments:

Emma said...

I will forgive the first photo due to the post being so good. And the pie looking so good.

Ione said...

Food and family. Strong ties, traditional pies. Happy Thanksgiving.