Wednesday, October 31, 2012

neither you nor i

things are very good in toronto. i am feeling very good and glad. but also i am very much missing home right now. and the people who are it. my magical family. i am nervous at the possibility of christmas without emma & charlie. i don't even know what that would look like. i am sad that declan is getting so big. i hope he won't be as shy as me, and that he'll always be warm to his aunt erin. i am grateful to have love so big that it hurts.

tonight i'll be roasting pumpkin seeds. and sleeping in flannel sheets (even though it is not cold enough here, and i have to leave the window open so i don't roast myself). my heart will be in the prairies, driving from farm to farm with gerry, collecting candy and drinks.

{my prairie nephew in the prairie light}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janice and I were talking about trying to skype a little more often so that Declan gets to know his aunts. I suspect that with a number of days together at Christmas you'll be best buds and we'll just have to make sure he sees you every now and then after that so he remembers his auntie Erin!

Emma said...

YES! And yes.

Ione said...

Did you know, this was one of your Grandpa's fav poems, being a 100% prairie boy himself.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by