Friday, July 26, 2013

ff

"That's when people started calling me a 'whore.'
I'm going to be honest about what it feels like to be called that as a 14-year-old girl who has never had sex and who doesn't plan to have sex anytime soon.
I feel disappointed.
It's hard for me to understand why adults would be calling me this. It's hard for me to understand why anyone would use this term for a 14-year-old girl."
{tuesday cain for xojane}

i. love. this. girl.
let's go back a little, so you know what is the what.

{tuesday and her dad billy cain}

* tuesday cain and her friend made a (witty/funny/smart/biting) sign

and the internet was all 'you a HOE!'
she was standing up for her beliefs in texas as the terror-fest-anti-abortion-bullshit was going down.

i love her. and i love her friend. and i love her dad. i love that of all the emotions she probably has in reaction to the awfulness that the internets can be, she highlights disappointment. not anger or sadness or fear or disgust or DID I SAY ANGER?! it's like when you lied to your mom that one time in elementary school, and she wasn't mad, she was disappointed. and it was so much worse. because that disappointment said 'i believe in your capacity to be better than this - i know it is in you. so you sure did let me down, here. by falling short. by not being a better you.'

now the kind of morons who would lash out at a fourteen year old like this probably aren't the kind to feel great remorse when they realize what a bag-o-dicks they've been. but they sure have been shown up, in my humble opinion. by her considered words. by the fact that they drew out a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD who felt she had better have a chat with them, the big dumbs, and clear things up.

"Adults are not acting like adults.
Normally, I prefer to look up to adults as role models. But what is happening in Texas right now it's hard to find adults who I want to look up to.
I don't look up to an adult who is taking away a woman's right to choose.
I don't look up to an adult who is calling a 14-year-old girl a whore.
I don't look up to an adult who is screaming in my face and saying I am ugly."

she said that while watching wendy davis fillibuster, she was proud to be a texan. well texas has something to be proud of in her, too. so there.

happy friday, teenage dreams.

No comments: