Monday, August 16, 2010

back in black

my right big toe is sore. i have cash dollar bills in my bag. i am serving again.

hoooraypants! i'm employed!

tonight was my first training shift at my new restaurant. fressen. check it out!

http://www.fressenrestaurant.com/fressen/index.html (how do you make that a link? man. i'm the worst blogger ever. html what?!)



it's all a bit bonkers there. there aren't sections, and no one person looks after a table. everyone does everything. what? i know. weird. but it seems to work well. it did tonight at least. there were a few times where i wasn't sure i had a handle on what was going on everywhere.. but it WAS my first day, so that's probably to be expected. in no time i was taking orders, and doing most of what any of the servers would/should be doing. fast learning curve! there were two ACTUAL servers on, and me. and we were pretty busy. and they were nice and thankful to have me there. after there were dips (humous, etc. something with lentils...) and the lovely wholegrain baguette and focaccia they serve. and dessert. a chocolate terrine with jack daniels and walnuts, and a cashew chocolate mouse. with fruit. and there was a glass of wine, and sitting talking with the other waitresses. i feel good about this place. it feels a bit upper crust-y. possibly chaotic and possibly warm and home-like. possibly both.

here's my fantastically thrilling first day outfit. yeah black!



(not pictured, my shiny shiny black patent brogues, and folded down black socks. of course.)



please note the awesome detail on the shoulder of this new black work shirt. extra major bonus points because the shirt is kind of a wide box, and thus super spacious in the armpit zone. perfect for to serve in.

meanwhile. watch out for air mattresses. they are dangertown.



please notice the woman's left arm. or. lack thereof.

2 comments:

Emma said...

You are so conniving. Getting a job at maybe my new favorite ever restaurant just so I'm come visit you in Toronto. Fine. FINE! (Dining.)

dharmahum said...

Gray's Anatomy in the bathroom?!