Wednesday, November 19, 2008

a project for the project space.



each student in the mfa program (both years) gets this little square of a false-room for one week of term. they are asked to create a piece of art specially for this space, and only in that week. you follow? good. the week always starts on a wednesday, and culminates the following tuesday at 1:15pm, when the whole class, and a few tutors gather and critique the project. then you take it all down, and the next person starts. etc.

this week was my week. i'm done now. thankfully. the setup and pre-art-work took a good amount of time, and so my drawing began on friday night. sigh. my goal was to produce 8 portraits of peeps from back home. a sort of nostalgia, memory work. oh. and each portrait was life-sized, and combined with a liquid suitable to the individual. (i could go on about the concept, especially after the nearly two hour conversation/crit yesterday, but i won't. i'll just let you take a look at it instead.)

you should know that spending three days trapped in the tiny box of a room, with eight of my home-slices, for approx. 7 hours a day (with no leaving allowed, exept for loo-breaks), makes a person a bit mental. but it was a nice thing spending time with those i was drawing, and thinking about home. the family/memory thing was made especially relevant and poignant when news arrived on sunday that my Granny Old had passed away. it was good to be surrounded by loved ones, even if they were made of paper.









and then i got to take it all down!!! and cut everyone's legs off. and play with the liquids...





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three comments:

1) Excellent use of the term "home slices". Full marks.
2) Is one of those drawings of Travis? Man his forehead got huge since last time I saw him!
3) I couldn't help but notice I wasn't in any of the drawings... I know my face is "hard to draw" but I'm starting to develop a complex here!

erin k h said...

you are too in the drawings! silly... maybe there isn't a picture. i thought i put one in. but yeah. you are. next to emma.

Travis said...

Brother-sister crit!