Monday, April 28, 2008

and so it begins


Hello Friends. Welcome.

Today is the day. We will board the plane. Fly as far as London. Change planes (I'm betting...). And kick on into Duplin. Tada! I have a small (Very small for a month long trip. I'm proud of me.) suitcase. I have a large carry on. (Very nearly the same size as the small suitcase.) This carry on if filled with candy. We're good to go.

So. Let's have a quick introduction to the characters. There are a lot of them, what with there being 40-odd singers in the choir alone, and then the european regulars... the special surprise guests... We'll start with the principles. Ones you're likely to hear about a lot.

Abra. (Abs. Absolom.) My roommate for the duration of the Irish portion o' travels. She does a solid Irish accent. I don't. We will alienate the locals with our charming banter.

Melanie. (Mel. Smelanie. Mellie. Melsolom. Marlotron. Marlin. Marlinator. She is hogging the nicknames.) We have intentions of writing a book or two together on this trip. A choral conducting grad student and a visual artist? We're sure to be published.

Christine. (Christine doesn't seem to have any nicknames I can think of. Odd. That'll have to be remedied.) Melanie's roommate. Pianist. Very stylish. Her outfits will likely be a topic of discussion.

Justin. (Je-lay-lay. Ye-lay-la. Je-lay-la. Ye-lay-lay. J-Hizzo.) A gentleman.

Damon. (Likewise no nicknames...) Philosopher. Tall. Lover of Chess. Wishes he were a cat.

Chris Giffen. (Yes. The whole name is required.) Damon's roommate. Bit of a world traveller. He is the flunky of the house, we call him Flunky Jim.

There's a bit. More to come as plots unfolds. I'm off to do one or two last minute errands, then TO THE AIRPORT! Holy cow!!!

3 comments:

Shellsteratkinson said...

Leavin' on a Jet Plane.....

I'm tres excited that you will be travelling on a plane du air!!!

I'm also very intrigued about the man who wishes he was a cat....definitely someone worth hearing more about ;)

Oh...and while you are there...watch out for sheep...they are the devil, but you can trick them into making huge scratchy sweaters for you.

Unknown said...

Erin! I'm glad to read that you're on your way. I'm also glad that you put a picture of you and your suitcase with your last post so I'll be sure not to bring anything bigger...

Eat breakfast every day!! Don't miss it. You're crazy to miss breakfast in Ireland.

Enjoy your trip! See you in a couple weeks..

Anonymous said...

erin k hoopface! how did i not discover this until now? well. i have. your mum let the blog out of the internetbag. so now i'm here and will read from the beginning.

... i DO have a lot of nicknames!

smellanie.